We’re thrilled to be nominated for the Liebster Award! We are honored to be nominated by The Carefree Couple, who are currently in a caravan traipsing across New Zealand, having given up their jobs to travel the world. Funny thing is, Charlie and Zara have a similar origin story to us: we met at a party, chatted for hours, and haven’t stopped chatting since. They have a few South-Asian countries, Australia, and somewhere in the Americas on their agenda: check them out to see where they are! They’ve also included some helpful advice if you’re looking for a Working Visa to New Zealand here.
The Carefree Couple asked us 10 random questions about ourselves. Our answers to their following questions were completely unrehearsed. Christian asked, we both answered, I typed.
If you could only eat 1 cuisine for the rest of your life what would it be and why?
Kulani: Sri Lankan.
What was the most exhilarating thing you’ve ever done?
Kulani: Flying in an open-door helicopter over the active Kilauea volcano/ziplining over rainforests in Puerto Rico. I can’t decide.
Christian: Marrying Kulani (d’awww!)
What’s your favorite off the beaten path destination?
Christian: Westfjords, Iceland.
What inspired you to start blogging?
Kulani: We travel quite a bit, and I couldn’t find the succinct, straightforward, detailed information I wanted beforehand, online or in travel guides. I wanted to create a space for concise information about our travel experiences that would help travelers in their adventures (and not run into the same issues that we had when planning our trips). I also wanted to inspire others to travel more with beautiful, yet real, pictures, and films (both of which I love to create!) I further wished to create more awareness on conscious travel. I hope this site so far embodies these ideals! To read more about why we created this site, see Who We Are.
Christian: I knew from the beginning that Kulani is a good writer, so when she proposed to start the website, I was onboard.
What’s your favorite book you’ve read or movie you’ve seen so far this year and why?
Kulani: The Last Empire: The Final Days of the Soviet Union – Serhii Plokhy (book)
Christian: Conscious Capitalism: Liberating the Heroic Spirit of Business – John Mackey and Rajendra Sisodia (book)
Name a guilty pleasure.
Christian: (Avoids obvious joke) Gaming.
Would you rather take a First Class flight or the rough scenic route?
Kulani: Depends on the airline offering the First Class flight! Most importantly, if it’s a domestic flight, I’d choose the rough scenic route. If it’s an international flight I’d definitely go for the First Class flight.
Christian: First Class flight all the way.
What’s your next destination going to be and why?
Kulani: We’re doing a roadtrip of the beaches of North Carolina soon to discover our current home-state before we move again!
Christian: Specific destination-wise, domestically: Atlanta, Georgia (because it’s a cheap destination to explore over Thanksgiving!) Internationally: Australia, to celebrate Christmas with Kulani’s family!
What advice would you give to starting bloggers?
Kulani: Focus on why you started a blog, and gear your posts towards that. Hone in on the quality of your content, and how it’s going to help others who read it.
Christian: Avoid click-baiting. It’s annoying and will put people off from actually following your work. There’s no such thing as “The 20 most beautiful places in the world.” What does that even mean?
And finally, tea or coffee?
Kulani: I’m Sri Lankan so it would be blasphemy if I ever chose coffee over tea.
Christian: Tea for sure.
Being nominated for the 2017 Liebster Award, we’d like to also share with you our favorite blog as of October 2017. We’re going to be honest here: we’re not big fans of blogs where writers share their thoughts and anecdotes over facts and experiences to help others on their travels. This is just a personal choice (and you may notice this in our articles!). We prefer sites geared away from click-baiting (don’t you just hate it when you click on a “Destination” on a travel blog and see some random article on there, with no information about the location itself?) and towards providing useful information for travelers around the world. To that end, Kay Rodriguez’ work on The Kay Days and The Jetfarer is noteworthy. For example: we searched the Internet and our copy of Lonely Planet’s Peru to know the nitty-gritty on visiting Machu Picchu to no avail. When should we wake up? Where do we buy bus tickets? At what time? Kay’s article on visiting the citadel was concise, straightforward, and informational. Thanks, Kay!
We’d also like to take the Liebster Award forward by nominating the following blogs for the award:
- My Travel Tricks by Daisy: http://www.mytraveltricks.com Daisy goes out of her way to help other travelers (like us in Peru!) with their journeys. Her blog is full of helpful tips and tricks to explore the world.
- The Kay Days by Kay Rodriguez: http://www.thekaydays.com We love Kay’s writing style, as mentioned above. More of that succinct, travel goodness.
- The Bold Traveller by Carole: http://boldtraveller.co.uk/ Carole’s adventures through China are relatable and real: we’ve been following her journey for a while!
- Bold Heart Generation by Sharon: http://www.boldheartgeneration.com/ Sharon writes about travel, fashion, and motivation – the third of which is really important as she discussed body image and strength, setting goals and achieving them. It’s not a traditional travel blog but we adore her purpose.
- The Wanderlust Chronicles by Leesa and Kate: http://www.wanderlustchronicles.com.au/ With articles such as cities to visit in Indonesia that are not Bali, this blog is right up our alley in terms of good content that’s not mainstream (their pictures are beautiful too!)
- Love N Luggage by Haley: http://lovenluggage.com/ Haley manages a full-time job with traveling like we do. She writes about love and travel: check out her detailed article on Gainesville, Florida, if you’re headed to the area!
Here are the official rules regarding the Liebster Award!
Here are 10 questions for those nominated by us (above)!
- If you could only eat 1 cuisine for the rest of your life what would it be and why?
- What was the most exhilarating thing you’ve ever done?
- What inspired you to start blogging?
- What’s your favorite book you’ve read or movie you’ve seen so far this year and why?
- Would you rather take a First Class flight or the rough scenic route?
- What’s your next destination going to be and why?
- What advice would you give to starting bloggers?
- Name one thing to avoid when traveling.
- Name one thing to avoid when blogging.
- If you could have dinner with anyone in the world right now, who’s alive, who would it be?
Thanks again to Zara and Charlie, The Carefree Couple, and congratulations to those nominated!